Tuesday 7 April 2015

Fear

Image courtesy: Google
Thirty two pairs of curious eyes followed me as I walked across the classroom on my first day of school. It was the middle of the term and I was taking the place of a teacher who had resigned. “Good morning, how are you feeling today?” I asked. The children seemed to be puzzled. Nevertheless, they answered “Fine ma’am, thank you.” I could see that they were exchanging glances, their eyes communicating in a language I could not fathom. Were they up to some trouble?

Since it was the first day I wasn't too keen on beginning a lesson. First, I needed to get to know them and make them feel comfortable. So with a smile, I started asking their names and things they liked. The tension in the air was palpable. Some of the kids didn't even look at me in the eye. Did they have trouble accepting me as their new teacher?

Things continued this way for a few more days though we were well into our Math lessons. I didn't give up hope. Then one day the unexpected happened.

“Akanksha!” I called out to a girl in my class.
“Yyyes ma’am…..ma’am I am sorry. Please ma’am. I will learn up.” She was trembling, her words reflecting some hidden fear.

“But what are you sorry for?” It was my turn to be confused.

She looked down without answering when a boy spoke up “Please don’t use that stick ma’am.”
I followed the boy’s gaze and saw a cane on the windowsill. I picked it up and threw it in the bin. “We don’t need this.” I smiled.

Suddenly the clouds of fear parted and I saw sunny faces. I was sure that the rest of the term would be full of fun and learning.





Linking to 
 http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/
 http://ultimateblogchallenge.com/






11 comments:

  1. Aww! What a sweet teacher! Without fear classrooms will be more fun. Well said, Vidya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me of my hindi teacher at school. Her surname was Gaur but we used to call her God Mam because everyone used to fear her for the first thing she used to do after entering the classroom was to take off her wrist watch and get prepared to slap the students for she had ample reasons to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad that the children assumed that they would be beaten :( Reminds me of that Syrian girl who raised her hands thinking that the photographer's camera was a rifle. Good writing, Vidya :)

    *Shailaja/Alternate Angles/A-Z*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that we belonged to a school that had teachers like her! I hate teachers who resort to beating and other methods of physical punishments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story, Vidya. How could teachers in the old times think that punishment and fear would assist learning? I remember being strapped on the hands back in the 40s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... such a heartfelt story... there is a difference between teaching and tutoring... this one set the example right that teaching isn't violent, teaching is about compassionate learning...

    great story..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how the previous teacher was, that the children were scared so much! Nonetheless, glad the new one didn't feel it necessary to inflict fear to teach something :) Well written :)

    Few Things Left Unsaid

    ReplyDelete
  8. We need more of such teachers. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's unbelievable how much we can achieve just by letting go of fear. Great post!

    ReplyDelete