Monday 4 May 2015

First Times

Image courtesy: Google
"When was the last time you did something for the first time?" This is one phrase my husband overuses. On our first date, our wedding day, upon writing the first love note, during our trips together, our cooking adventures, a game of scrabble or any random moment he surprises me with this question. I suggest you ask yourself this question and reflect for a moment.

Do you love trying out new things? Do you make an effort or do you succumb to the usual excuse about not having enough time? Are you stuck in a rut and wish for something "different" or "crazy" to happen? Of course most of us have hobbies to keep our creative sides active or go on holidays to unwind and relax but for many others these interests take a backseat due to various reasons.

I like trying out new things. I am totally in love with the idea of learning (one of the reasons why I enjoy teaching). I remember that even as a child, I was constantly on the lookout for new ideas, new games, new hobbies, new hideouts and "new" mischief! Trust me, doing something for the first time brings a feeling of freshness and joy of accomplishment no matter how silly a thing it seems. Who knows, you may discover something new about yourself - a talent an interest or even a quirk.

After the A to Z challenge, I desperately wanted to do something different. Unable to come up with anything interesting, I opened my cupboard and sifted through a cluttered pile of random things (stationery, greeting cards, dried flowers, paint and so on). When I chanced upon an abandoned drawing book, I almost shouted "Eureka!" 

What started off as a few overlapping free hand circles ended up like this:


And led to this:


I was hooked and so deeply lost in the drawing that my mom had to remind me of lunch time. It was a soothing experience that left me happy and proud. I definitely will do more of this when I get bored. But right now I'm on the lookout for new things to try :)

When was the last time you did something for the first time? Think of it and do leave a comment or even better, do something new today and then tell me!


Linking to
http://www.writetribe.com/write-tribe-pro-blogger-challenge/

8 comments:

  1. It's wonderful when you can get lost in creativity. You lose all sense of self and simply go with the flow. I love trying new things too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's so beautiful Vidya! I loved the colorful umbrella :) I'm learning to doodle and love it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a great advise.Well for me April A to Z was one..I keep trying new things but I am not so deliberate about it. May be I should do that. Loved your post Vidya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful! It's like when we were kids and just creating for the sheer joy of it...that's what I want to get back to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always want to try out new things, and what a great find you stumbled upon...nice drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Thats what keeps one going in life... trying out new things!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome art work, Vidya. You have inspired me to try out something new today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah, that's doodling gone professional! Love the umbrella sketch, something very child-like in it :) Doodle more...

    ReplyDelete